Package format/management ramblingss

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 20:19:40 -0700

Hey folks.

After reading up a little bit on package managers/formats, etc. I thuoght I would send some thoughts along to hopefully spur some dialog.

RPM:

Decent package format and management tools. GPL'd. Support for pgp signatures, pre/post scripts, binary and source packages, and more.

Cons:

Can have dependency issues when using a myriad of repositories. And on a personal note, I don't like Redhat.. :-)

Deb/dpkg:

Good package format and management tools. GPL'd. Pretty much supports all that RPM does and then some.

Cons:

I'm sure Alfred will say that one Con is that it's Debian! :-) To some point I agree. Though I personally am not anti-Debian, it would seem to be counterproductive to have to maintain a /DEBIAN environment for conf files, pre/post scripts etc on a non-Debian system. Another con may be some of the complexities involved in creating packages.

Stow:

Lightweight, easy to use package management utilizing .tar.gz archives. Also happens to be a GNU project.

Cons:

No good way to resolve dependencies. I don't like the relience on Perl. No pre/post script support.

Thoughts:

I like the Stow structure. I think it is cool. I am even warming up to Marco's idea of a stowfs/packagefs.. ;-) However, from a (l)user perspective it may be too minimalistic. If we have to add stuff for paths, dependency resolution, pre/post scripts, we may as well write a new package format. Also, if I have to manually get the tarball, extract it, "make" it, etc before packagefs does it's thing, what's the point? Again, from a (l)user perspective, apt is a beautiful thing. As a user, I just want to run a command that goes and gets the package and it installs it for me. So maybe we make a new minimalist package format with some nice front end tools but utilizing the stow methodology??

Thoughts, comments, flames???

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.