Re: Install Concept

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Install Concept
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:01:52 +0100

Here is the whole thread for people who don't like web browsers for
discussing things.

Thu 01/19/06 at 02:04, comment #3:

   I really like ams' ideas.
   >> Use GNU now -- Just boot into the LiveCD.
   I think it would be important to have a fully featured LiveCD to play
   with for those wishing to play with the system before installing
   it--also, for some this could serve as a diagnostic and recovery tool.
   For the LiveCD, I think it would be nifty if we could make it possible
   to have X on there too.
   >> If this was in X, I think the there could be a pretty little menu
   on the left side that is a tree, where you more or less get the above.
   I think it would be best to keep it simple as possible at first and to
   only have an ncurses installer. Perhaps at a later time we could offer
   the option of an X installer.
   It would be fantastic if we had a very simple-worded and straight
   forward installer that even a monkey could use. Of course, I'm in
   support of having a more customized advanced option for installation.
   Further, though more design-oriented, I think it would be nifty if we
   made the installer scriptable, per ams' idea. I mean, have some sort
   of script file that could be used for any installer; this way we don't
   need to have the installation functions changed in the installer
   source. Moreover, if we ever go for an X installer, we would not have
   to make functionality changes to both the X and ncurses installers.
   So, these are my thoughts. What does everyone else think?

Fri 12/30/05 at 20:06, comment #2:

   I like this. GUI-wise I think the installer should hide many of these
   details from the user. It should look something like this I think
   (each item would be in a new window unless otherwise noted):
   Pick Language (if X, a list of languages wtih flags and stuff) -- This
   would change the locale, keyboard and the default language output.
   Use GNU now -- Just boot into the LiveCD.
   Install GNU
   Network (automatic/DHCP, or manual)
   Install -- This should take into account all options
   previously set, in either the Advanced section,
   or in this one. It should then simply execute
   whatever was set. In short: This should be a
   destructive operation, and NO other options
   change ANYTHING on the disk.
   The default should be automatic partitioning
   when it comes to partition the disk.
   Advanced (in the same window as `Install GNU')
   Partition (should update fstab automaticlly, could even be
   done on bootup in the init scripts, already done
   for livecd I think)
   ... More stuff.
   If this was in X, I think the there could be a pretty little menu on
   the left side that is a tree, where you more or less get the above.
   Well, those are my thoughts on this.

Mon 08/29/05 at 02:57, comment #1:

   I have a idea to the 'GNU System Installer'
   1. Loads the cd and open Grub
   § Here the user will find some boot options like we have on GNU+Linux
   systems.
   2. Booting Hurd (task #4484)
   3. The 'Installer Manager' will be runned by the init scripts
   § It will be a program that reads from a guile conf what modules and
   in what sequence they will be runned.
   § This group of modules + the 'Intaller Manager' will be the 'GNU
   System Installer'
   § My idea is create modules that are 100% independent of the others,
   but, if necessary, we could use some System Variables to pass some
   information.
   4. The 'Wellcome Module'
   a) The user will have a list of supported locales
   b) The user will have a list of keyboards (does hurd support more than
   1 keymap)
   c) A wellcome message
   5. The 'Partition Module'
   a) Give some information to the user about partitioning
   b) A _GOOD_ frontend to GNU Parted, with options like "Auto
   Partition", that will use the free space of the HD to create the hurd
   partitions.
   c) A screen where people will format their partitions
   6. The 'Basesystem Installer Module'
   a) Now, users will decide what partition will be '/', what partition
   will be '/home'... The module can suggest what partition will be used
   to '/' and 'swap', for example.
   b) Uncompress the Base
   c) Uncompress basic packages and install them (task #4491)
   7. The 'Configure Module'
   a) Configure ´fstab´
   b) Change root password
   c) Configure some translators