Re: chroot issues and http://tri-ceps.blogspot.com/2007/07/theory-of-fil

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: chroot issues and http://tri-ceps.blogspot.com/2007/07/theory-of-filesystem-relativity .html
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 21:19:28 +0200 (CEST)

       One would have to allow access to /servers/socket/2 from the
       underlying system to be able to get networking, and probobly
       other files as well depending on what one wishes to use the
       sub-hurd for; like block devices, normal files, etc.

       We would need to modify sub-hurds so that when we start our
       sub-hurd we can say that /servers/socket/2 in the sub-hurd
       should forward all messages to /servers/socket/2 in the
       underlying system.

   Has anyone tried actually writing software to create a sub-hurd for
   practical uses?  I think that would be a very useful thing to do.

I do not understand, sub-hurds are easy to create.  You don't need any
special software for them.

   It would be nice to write a special virtual partial copy file
   system that a sub-hurd can use, to avoid the need to actually copy
   the files.

True, this applies to chroot as well.

   What exactly this should do, to get the job done and be secure, is
   the question that we can answer by trying to really implement this.

It is already implemented, and has been implemented for the past 10
years.