A GNU Distribution

From: Jason Self
Subject: A GNU Distribution
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:19:40 -0700 (PDT)

Now that Linux-libre has been dubbed an official GNU package it seems to me
that the GNU Operating System now has a fully functional kernel. Perhaps this
means that there could now be an official release of the GNU Operating System?

I'm starting this thread to open a discussion of what sort of shape such a
distribution might take and what needs to improve within GNU in order to do it.

My idea is that it would be source-based where people compile the operating
system from scratch, which brings up my first idea...

For starters it seems to me that there needs to be some way to install the
operating system onto bare metal, unless people are to be expected to bootstrap
it using an existing system?

In addition, people could choose whether they want to use Hurd or Linux-libre
during the compile process. Another option might be that both kernels could be
installed at the same time and people could select between them on boot using
the GRUB menu. It seems that this type of setup would add additional complexity
but that it would also not be impossible.

Thoughts? Ideas? What else needs to be improved within GNU to have our own
distribution?