Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 16:45:13 -0400

    As I understand it, the packages would contain both the binaries
    (already built, no need for the user to compile anything herself) and
    the _corresponding_ source code. Not just making the source available
    somehow, somewhere, or through the explicit configuration and download
    of separate packages, but making it an integral part of the system.

We want the source and binary to be closely associated,
but whether they form one downloadable package or two
seems like an implementation detail.  Since many people
would rather get only the binary, I think it is more convenient
if they are two downloadable packages rather than one.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation