Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Christophe Poncy
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:26:34 +0200

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 20:07:28 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
If I understood correctly, Daniel Robbins is currently writing a new
version of portage. My feeling is that we need experienced hackers on this project. And another way to launch such a project could be to use an existing distro. Nobody asked for that, but my dream is to initiate a
dialogue between Daniel and RMS

I don't recognize the name, but I could talk with him if that is
useful.  First, however, I need to know what the starting situation
is.  What is his attitude towards GNU and towards the free software
movement?

The starting situation is probably not easy but I am optimistic by nature :) I think that he doesn't see in *GNU* the whole system, yet. And he seems more close to the open source camp than the free software movement. That said, I believe in your capacity to convince people and change History! And I believe in the GNU capacity to attract the best free software hackers, especially when they built "human" projects that are widely used (Google is using portage for its "Chrome OS" project"). Daniel has a strong experience in free software projects, he is a great leader that can get the best from others.

I can't talk for him but I am pretty sure he values both GNU and the free software movement. As French, I discovered Funtoo GNU/Linux through the Funtoo-Quebec community, which is strongly supportive to Software Freedom. People who have made Funtoo-Quebec are friends with him. And Funtoo-Quebec became the official support of Funtoo for French speaking people.

--
Support free software! Join FSF:
https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom?referrer=4574