Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 23:37:10 +0200

Hello,

Antono Vasiljev <address@hidden> skribis:

>>     Ludovic aka address@hidden starded a project implementing nix package
>>     definitions in scheme/guile: https://gitorious.org/guix
>>
>> That's cool.
>
> Yep, CCing Ludovic.
> Ludo, please, joing discussion about GNU distribution :)

Thanks for the invitation!  ;-)

I had actually noticed the thread, and it was one of my motivations for
Guix.  It’s in its early stages though, so we’ll see where it goes
(you’re welcome to join, of course!).

Now, if/when Guix becomes suitable, a distribution like Nixpkgs would
have to be written, in Scheme (perhaps by translating Nixpkgs from Nix +
Bash to Scheme).  Obviously, the project would have to attract enough
developers and users to become sustainable.

(I had written more on that, and then thought I’d rather let you
meditate that last sentence.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.