Re: Introducing GNU Guix

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: Introducing GNU Guix
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:38:08 +0100

> Is Stow still useful, or should we think of Guix as a replacement for it?

I personally use it to manage my home-directory config files
("dotfiles") so I can have them all sorted nicely by application and
under version control in one directory and then only stow the ones I
need into their proper places.

I do also use it to manage alternate builds of some software, so that
only one build is installed at a time, and I do so alongside the
systems' package managers. For technological reasons, those systems
can't be moved to a Guix-based distribution any time soon (they're
ARM-based systems), and I don't relish the thought of having two
full-blown package managers residing side-by-side on the same
system. Having Stow available as a "light" package manager for limited
usage is actually really handy.

Please don't deprecate it :)

Though, I do agree with modifying how we refer to it (as a "symlink
farm" rather than as a "package manager for people who don't use package
managers").

Incidentally, GARStow, the system from which GSRC is derived, uses Stow
to do its symlinking. GSRC does it manually, but I have entertained the
thought of changing it to use Stow instead.

-brandon