Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Christophe Poncy
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 23:09:59 +0200

On 2019-10-11 20:41, Taylan Kammer wrote:
[…]  What position does he
hold within today's GNU project other than being a wise old person
(wise with respect to his topics of expertise) who is respected a lot?

As a simple user, I see him as the guardian of the temple ("Chief GNUisance"), and that reassures me because he embodies the free software philosophy on its own.

the maintainers and contributors collectively
hold a lot more power than any single person.

IMO, the GNU essence is more powerful than the sum of its hackers.

So in a way I guess I  don't really see what the statement
is trying to accomplish

It visibly sets the scapegoat mechanism in motion, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoating#Scapegoat_mechanism