Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 10:24:09 +0000

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 at 04:11, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's what people told me: that i could use the same vc commands
> with git and they would work.
>
> But that was not so.  When there was a merge conflict, git fell on the
> floor and I was stuck.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by falling on the floor in this
case, but I'm very sure that if it happened again there would be no
shortage of people willing and able to help you resolve it very
quickly (myself included).

A wild guess, based on previous conversation in this thread, is that
maybe you resolved the conflict in emacs but didn't stage the
resolution before attempting to commit it.

git has been handling merges extremely well for many years now.  I
believe this is one of the main reasons it is now used by tens of
millions of developers.  There is also an abundance of excellent
documentation and tutorials.