gnuastro-devel

[task #13658] Work on concave polygons too

From: Sachin Kumar Singh
Subject: [task #13658] Work on concave polygons too
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 10:12:14 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #4, task #13658 (project gnuastro):

What if the centroid lies outside the polygon? Will this method will still be
valid? If not, I think we can sort the points using polar coordinates and
their distance from a fixed point(which can be the point which is the
lowermost and rightmost, for example). But I'm not sure about the feasibility
of this method. A bit more discussion is required:-)

Also in the manual, it is stated that the problems with concave polygons *"is
because we are always going to be calculating the area of the overlap between
a quadrilateral and the pixel grid or the quadrilateral its self. "*
(page:433, polygon.h
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Polygons.html>). Will
sorting on this centroid based method have any effect cause we will be
calculating centroid on the basis of points
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centroid#Of_a_finite_set_of_points> and not the
area <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centroid#Of_a_polygon>?

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?13658>

  Message sent via Savannah