gnuastro-devel

[task #15799] Add the autocomplete feature to gnuastro

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15799] Add the autocomplete feature to gnuastro
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 19:41:50 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #12, task #15799 (project gnuastro):

Great work Pedram.

> It looks like arrays are not supported in POSIX.
No problem, the completion we are designing is only for Bash anyway. Things
like Dash don't have completion (as far as I know), and really have no idea
how other shells (like zsh <https://www.zsh.org>) treat completion. So you
just have to assume that the feature exists in a certain version of Bash.

Its fine to assume Bash 3.2! We can just add some checks at configure time and
if certain features aren't available in the user's bash (or the user's shell
isn't Bash at all, like on Debian systems that use Dash: a minimal shell), we
won't activate autocomplete, and just print a warning. Don't worry about the
test in './configure', I'll add it ;-)..

Of course, the same applies to 'compgen'. It is available in Bash, and that is
the only important thing.

So you don't have to worry about POSIX here ;-).

The links you send were very good! I am sure I'm going to come back to this
task a lot for those links ;-).

I'm a little busy in the next day or two, but I'll try my best to test the
completed work! Very good job! In the meantime, you can define a new section
in the Developing chapter
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Developing.html> of
the book to explain the basic concepts. I'll start reading from that (as a new
developer), then I'll look into the code and commits ;-).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15799>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/