gnuastro-devel

[task #15803] Match program builds k-d tree and later read from it

From: Sachin Kumar Singh
Subject: [task #15803] Match program builds k-d tree and later read from it
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 15:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #7, task #15803 (project gnuastro):

I made the commit
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/gnuastro-dev/-/commit/5548439f164684010225335d138189aea91d8780>
in which I've changed the name of `match_coordinate_*` functions which did
sort-based matching to `match_sort_based_*`. Also, I added the tests to be
performed during `make test` in tests/match/.

I also wrote the scripts to generate test files during benchmarking and test
the efficiency of kdtree over sort-based matching. I've written briefly about
that in the commit message.

Commit message:

Changes the name of `match_coordinate_*` functions which did sort based
matchin to `match_sort_based_*` for clarity. This change is done in
bin/match/match.c, lib/gnuastro/match.h, lib/match.c and in
doc/gnuastro.texi.

Tests for the kdtree based matching is introduced which does simple
matching based on the predefined inputs given in tests/match/. Also,
added the test in Makefile.am to be included during `make test`.

Added scripts to generate test files during benchmarking and test the
efficiency of kdtree over sort-based matching. Two scripts are written
in /during-dev-test-data/scripts namely `kdtree-gen.py`, which generates
the pseudo-random output tests, and `benchmark.py` which will calculate
the run time for the scripts and generate a graph for a number of times
the program is executed vs. time taken. The script for benchmarking is
simple and might take a long time for >10 executions. A possible efficient
method is a multithreading, which will be implemented soon. After this, we
can implement the --kdtree=automatic option based on the result.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15803>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/