gnuastro-devel

[task #16096] Writing of TIFF files

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #16096] Writing of TIFF files
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:10:52 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Currently Gnuastro's can only read from TIFF files, it can't write to them
(see the lib/tiff.c
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/lib/tiff.c> file in
Gnuastro's source)!

The main reason behind this was time: unlike JPEG (which is only one image per
file), TIFF allows multiple images per file (like FITS extensions), so the
libtiff library's writing functions are a little more complicated than those
functions for reading.

As a result, I only implemented reading of TIFF files (which I needed at that
moment), not writing of TIFF files!

If anyone is interested in doing this, please make a post here, its a good
chance to learn professional APIs of important libraries!

I'd be happy to help. There are other examples of reading or writing to
different file formats, like lib/eps.c
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/lib/eps.c> (for writing
EPS files), lib/jpeg.c
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/lib/jpeg.c> (for
reading/writing JPEG files), lib/pdf.c
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/lib/pdf.c> (for writing
PDF files, which actually writes EPS, then compiles them to PDF), and of
course, lib/tiff.c
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/lib/tiff.c> (that
currently on reads from TIFF files).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?16096>