gnuastro-devel

[bug #63644] WCS Library not recognizing raw HST WCS

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #63644] WCS Library not recognizing raw HST WCS
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 20:01:15 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Thu 12 Jan 2023 01:01:13 AM UTC By: Mohammad Akhlaghi <makhlaghi>
When we run any Gnuastro program on raw HST images, we get WCSLIB errors and
the WCS is not loaded:

$ wget -Oj9en0pnaq_flc.fits
'https://mast.stsci.edu/api/v0.1/Download/file?uri=mast:HST/product/j9en0pnaq_flc.fits'

$ astarithmetic j9en0pnaq_flc.fits
astarithmetic: gal_wcs_read_fitsptr: (warning) wcsfix status for cdfix: -1
astarithmetic: gal_wcs_read_fitsptr: (warning) wcsfix status for obsfix: -1
astarithmetic: gal_wcs_read_fitsptr: (warning) wcsfix status for unitfix: -1
astarithmetic: gal_wcs_read_fitsptr: (warning) wcsfix status for spcfix: -1
astarithmetic: gal_wcs_read_fitsptr: (warning) wcsfix status for celfix: 5
astarithmetic: gal_wcs_read_fitsptr: (warning) wcsfix status for cylfix: -1
astarithmetic: gal_wcs_read_fitsptr: WCSLIB warning: wcsset error 5: Invalid
parameter value
 - j9en0pnaq_flc.fits (hdu 1) is read.
 - Write (final): j9en0pnaq_flc_arith.fits
Arithmetic finished in 0.110952 seconds

This was originally reported by Alex Borlaff in a post to bug-gnuastro
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuastro/2023-01/msg00008.html>. As
mentioned in later messages of that mail series, we should confirm which one
of these scenarios (or maybe anther scenario) is causing this problem:
* it is a problem in the way we use WCSLIB in Gnuastro.
* it is a non-standard usage of WCS keywords in the HST pipeline.
* it a bug in WCSLIB.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?63644>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/