gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] missing info in the models tarballs.

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] missing info in the models tarballs.
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 15:45:59 -0500

On Sunday 25 February 2007 07:59, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > 2. The libtool tarball is about 3 MB. about 3 times the size of
> > the gnucap basic tarball. (core + enough plugins to be useful)
> > It contains lots of stuff for lots of systems.
>
> I gotta agree with the chorus of libtool advocates.  It will make your
> life easier.   Also, what the big deal about a 3MB tarball if you
> already require g++ to build Gnucap & it's plug-ins?

It creates a RUN TIME dependency for something that should
be determined pre-build, that can be determined without it,
and doesn't completely solve the problem.

Actually, I am not sure of the extent of the problem.  So far,
it looks like Linux and BSD are ok with no help.  Mac is a little
different, could be accomodated another easier way.
All libtool does is specify the compiler flags.
Why doesn't autoconf do that?

In favor of libtool ...  It presents an interface that is its own,
as opposed to the direct compiler interface.

The way I have done this for many years is to have a file ("Make2")
that specifies this kind of thing.  Several versions of Make2 cover
different systems.  One of them can be for libtool.
It's just another system.

I don't think Linux and BSD users who don't need it should be
burdened with it.  I don't think people who don't have libtool
should be prevented from using gnucap.  It is easy to use it if
it is available, but not require it.