gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] SPICE to gnucap transition

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] SPICE to gnucap transition
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:54:07 -0500

I find it strange that gwave is the only one that accepts
the gnucap files.  The gnucap files can be read by anything
that is not spice specific, easily.  The only viewers that
have a problem are the ones specifically written for the
bizarre format that spice uses.  There are many of these.

I was under the impression that there was some modification
made to gwave to accommodate gnucap since the web site
specifically mentions gnucap. I'm somewhat reluctant to use
gwave because it would be the *only* application installed on
my FC6 box that depends on the ancient gtk-1.2.x!

It was added to the documentation later. It is probably used a lot more with gnucap than it is with CaZM. Not much work has been done on gwave in the past few years. There is a lot of room for more.

The latest version doesn't build on my machine. I get some strange guile errors I don't understand. I use an older version that has a Debian package.

I wonder what it would take to catch gwave up a little or to teach gtkwave to read the ascii data that gnucap is currently able to produce.

A better waveform viewer (including calculator) is something I think is really needed. Too many projects, not enought time....

gwave is really lacking in any analysis features like octave but the octave plotting tools really aren't good for interactive waveform viewing (lack of scrolling, cursors, etc).

This is an area where I think it wouldn't even be that hard to be way better than some of the high end commercial tools.

-Dan