gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap and python

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap and python
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 18:28:13 -0400

What we really need is a graphic post-processor.

I think you are looking mainly at the control and command side
of it.  That's fine, but there is a more pressing need for the
output side, to display and manipulate waveforms.

For now, we have "gwave" which works, but has limits, and is not
being actively developed.  Among the problems, some have
difficulty compiling it, it doesn't work in a pipe, it does not
manipulate waveforms, and it only plots based on time in
transient, frequency in AC, etc.

Ideally, the whole thing would be written in an interpreted
language like Python.  The base program could start with
the "gwave" functionality.

Then bring out python's interpreter to do math on the waveforms,
like "V(R1) - VCE(Q1)/2" or something like that.

Once you have brought out the inperpreter, anyone can add to it.
Thinks like ....

Then add the ability to plot based on something other than the
traditional X, so it could do Smith charts, Nyquist plots,
dynamic transfer curves, ...

Add a triggering capability, like an oscilloscope, so it can
retrace like an oscilloscope.  This will enable things
like "eye diagrams".

If someone wants to step up, THIS is what we really need.