gnucap-devel

[Gnucap-devel] making netlists 'work' gschem

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] making netlists 'work' gschem
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:57:32 +0200

Hi Savant.

i've looked into this a bit.

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:01:52PM +0530, address@hidden wrote:
> What I have in mind is to map components in schematics to models
> (spice or verilog-ams)
> Exactly, how it is done, I dont presently have nay idea.
> I need to look at gnetlist to see how it is done in it.

my understanding is as follows.

gnetlist uses the last (?) "netname" attribute it finds in a connected
component as the nodename that represents it. this partially makes
sense, but is difficult to do in gnucap. a net with a netname tag would
have to rename the nodes it connects to (when it is parsed). this is not
implemented in u_nodemap...

it looks as if netnames are better off where you have put them, but
then, the subcircuit and port magic items need to be handled in order to
do anything with the netlist. the difficulty with this is, that unlike
gnetlist/spice-sdb, gnucap parses sequentially, and doesnt see the whole
picture.
what might work is this: lang_geda parses all CARDs into a private
scope, which is postprocessed once it exits, and then dropped into
CARDLIST::cardlist. since there is no concept of commands in schematics
files, the user will have to switch to another language anyway (is that
right?) -- and not even notice.

such a private scope seems neccessary for subcircuits. at least i cannot
think of anything else. the spice-sdb node naming scheme would then be
trivial to implement. but i don't like it yet. any better ideas?

regards
felix