gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] git repo proposal
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 08:10:48 +0200

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 03:44:47PM -0400, al davis wrote:
> On Sunday 26 May 2013, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> > i have a draft for including plugin package-tarballs into the
> > build system within the autotools-WIP branch. basically it
> > works like 1) place your package into <gnucap-src>/extern
> >    type
> >           git clone <gitrepo> extern/<name>
> >           cd !$; ./autogen.sh; cd -
> >         or just
> >           tar -xf <tarball> -C extern/<packagename>
> > --strip-components 1 2) run ./configure (once)
> > 3) (todo) make check, install now dives into externals
>
> I saw that ...  I really don't want to use autotools for this.
> Aside from that I think autotools is such a mess, compiling and
> installing plugins is something a regular user should be able to
> do.

Hi Al.

i almost forgot to mention: i just implemented the whole 'extern' stuff
because i understood you wanted to compile everything in one go.

actually what i did the last years is as simple as
$ tar -xf gnucap-whatever.tgz
$ cd gnucap-whatever
$ ./configure; make check; make install
which does not require to have the gnucap source around. this also
works with or without autotools and should be acceptable to software
distributors.

now i'm starting to like the 'extern' thing, as i have the gnucap source
untarred anyway.

regards
felix

PS: not for plugins, but for plugin-packages