gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Integrated waveform displayer Details

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Integrated waveform displayer Details
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 15:13:33 -0400

On Monday 26 May 2014, Abhinav singh wrote:
> Yes i know about it.Mainly what i wants from this plugin to
> create a file which contains the data stored in the data
> backend created for plotting function.If you see rawfile.c
> in frontend of ngspice you will get some idea of what i am
> talking about.

After the output becomes plugable it might make sense to support
other formats.  As of now, gnucap can write a file that is
compatible with everything except spice.

The spice rawfile is a throwback to the Fortran days when
everything ran batch.  It allowed the simulator engine and data
output to be separate executables.  Originally, the format is
what it is because it was easy to dump.  As things changed, the
rawfile code became more convoluted to attempt to maintain
compatibility in the file as the data structures became more
incompatible.

You really don't need to deal with files at all to do the
waveform display.

The database idea requires a lot more thought before pushing
ahead.  In this context, after you get the basic spice-style
plotting, I  would rather see more variants on plotting, such as
doing math on plots, waveform based triggering, resweep like an
oscilloscope, polar plots.  At least think of this up front so
it can be added later.

Again, you really don't need to deal with files.  But if you do,
first you need to learn how gnucap deals with files.