gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Comprehensive Help System Implementation Detai

From: Rishabh Yadav
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap Comprehensive Help System Implementation Details
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 23:57:30 +0200

Rishabh Yadav
Junior Undergraduate
Department of Electronics Engineering
IIT (BHU), Varanasi
Varanasi-221005
India

On Sunday 25 May 2014, Felix Salfelder wrote:

> class CMD_HELP: public CARD {
>   do_it(){
>     string what;
>     cmd >> what;
>     const CARD* thing = find(what);
>     out = <some stream>;
>     out << "help on " << what << ":" << endl;
>     what.help(out);
>   }
>
>   static string helptext;
>   void help(stream out){
>     out << helptext
>   }
> }c;
>
> string CMD_HELP::*helptext = "helptext on **help**"*;

as we are storing the help text which is a string in a variable,so this
string will be embedded in the compiled shared object(.so) files.So,this
string will always get loaded whenever the plugin will be loaded.As the
string may be of any length so if 100 plugins are loaded at the same time
then loading of 100 help strings may cause performance issues and if user
don't need the help manual then efforts to load help string will go
waste.Al once told me that "You pay only for what you use" so I think
am wrong or if I misunderstood something.