Re: Re: [open-cobol-list] question from a new user

From: David Korn
Subject: Re: Re: [open-cobol-list] question from a new user
Date: Tue Apr 1 14:07:45 2003

cc:  address@hidden
--------

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, David Korn wrote:
>
> > The error is coming from an ASSIGN statement.  Based on the COBOL manual
> > that I have, this would appear to be correct syntax. Can anyone tell me
> > why this program doesn't work and how it can be changed so that the
> > compiler can generate C code?
> >
> > ==========================prog.cob================================
> > 002500 INPUT-OUTPUT SECTION.
> > 00000250
> > 002600
> > 00000260
> > 002700 FILE-CONTROL.
> > 00000270
> > 002800     SELECT CRIT-ERROR-FILE             ASSIGN UT-S-VMUR107A
> > 00000280
> > 002900         STATUS IS WK-CRIT-ERROR-STATUS.
> > 00000290
> > 003000
> > 00000300
>
> -> ASSIGN TO "UT-S-VMUR107A"
>
> is what I think it should be. That UT-S-VMUR107A is a filename, right?
>
> //Wouter

Thanks, I was able to get past this problem by putting quotes around
the name.  However, I am surprised that the program core dumped rather
than providing a useful message.

I am having another problem in that it doesn't seem to handle COMP-3
format for packed decimal.  Is this supported?

David Korn
research!dgk
address@hidden