RE: RE: [open-cobol-list] mvs cobol namespace

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: RE: [open-cobol-list] mvs cobol namespace
Date: Thu Feb 5 14:59:55 2004

Then it seems to me that what the compiler should do is not CONVERT to
something that isn't coded in the "literal" - but instead should convert to
  "no-op" - always branch to ON EXCEPTION condition

*if* a literal is entered that can't be converted to (some- not all) C's.

I am certain that SOME C compilers must support other "things" - because IBM
C can call IBM COBOL programs with "@" "$" or "#" in the program-name.

P.S.  Another alternative would be to have the compiler convert the

   CALL "literal"
     to a
   Move "literal" to data-item
   CALL data-item

The bottom-line is that NO conversion should be made from the VALUE included
in the literal coded by the programmer.  If what they code is INVALID, then
it SHOULD cause either a compiler error OR a run-time "on exception".