Re: [open-cobol-list] ISAM replacement (was Team setup)

From: Bernard Giroud
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] ISAM replacement (was Team setup)
Date: Mon Nov 8 10:21:46 2004

Thanks Christian,

That ("How about http://vbisam.sourceforge.net/?";) looks promising.

Cheers,

Bernard Giroud
Credit Lyonnais (Suisse) SA
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Lademann" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Team setup

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:21:41 +0200
address@hidden wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read this point in the TODO file :
>

> ** New backends for INDEXED files
>
>  - Any alternative to BerkeleyDB?
>  - Use DB (PostgreSQM, MySQL, etc.) as backends

Hi, OpenCOBOL team,

I'm happy to see things going forward :-)

How about http://vbisam.sourceforge.net/?

Regards,

Christian Lademann

> Actually, I wrote my own implementation of indexed and relative files.
> I used it for 3 years for personnal needs.
> It could deal with big files (20 millions records, and more than 500 Mo)
with
> good performances. (based on trees and mmap)
> It has some deficiencies and must be improved : keys are single fields,
delete
> is not ready, etc .. And surely it has some bugs.
>
> Do you think it could be an alternative to BerkeleyDB. Is it a good idea
or not
> ? My opinion is yes but I am partial. And there is still a lot of work to
make
> it a solid product. It would be a full job, and doing that I could not do
> another thing. Furthermore the task we subscribe is COBOL compilation, not
file
> management.
>
> Yet, I think that a COBOL compiler should have its own implementation for
ISAM

--
*  Christian A. Lademann, ZLS Software GmbH          mailto:address@hidden
*  ZLS Software GmbH

This e-mail contains confidential information or information belonging
to the Credit Lyonnais Group entity sending it and is intended solely
for the addressees. Any views expressed in this message are those of
the individual sender and its contents do not constitute a commitment
by Credit Lyonnais unless confirmed by letter or fax. The unauthorised
disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either whole or partial) of
this e-mail, or any information it contains, is prohibited. E-mails are
susceptible to alteration and their integrity cannot be guaranteed.
Internet communications are not secured and therefore Credit Lyonnais
shall not be liable for this e-mail if modified or falsified. If you
are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please delete it
immediately from your system and notify the sender of the wrong
delivery and the mail deletion.