RE: [open-cobol-list] Re. Small Cobol changes for MVS compatibility

From: Bill Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] Re. Small Cobol changes for MVS compatibility
Date: Mon Nov 15 14:26:07 2004

Roger,
  You couldn't be MORE mistaken about what the '02 Standard says (and this
IS consistent with the '85 Standard) when you say,

"If you say ==<space>TEXT<space>== BY
> ==<space>TEXT2<space>== , then 2002 states that
> this is EXACTLY what will be searched for"

See: GR10(a) on page 34 which states, (in part),

"The leftmost library text-word that is not a separator comma or a separator
semicolon is the first text-word used for comparison."

In other words,

   ==text-word==

DOES match

  ==, . text-word==

and also matches

  ==<space>text-word==

(all spaces and non-spaces and equivalent separators) are treated as
IRRELEVANT before the first text-word.

It *is* true that the '85 Standard (and the '02) Standard BOTH state that
when a match is found, that you MUST put all of pseudo-text-2 (the stuff
after the BY) into the resulting text.

This is why I indicated that *if* the current implementation is NOT placing
spaces in the resulting text (when they appear in pseudo-text-2) that is
NON-conforming.