[open-cobol-list] XPG as a "dialect"

From: Bill Klein
Subject: [open-cobol-list] XPG as a "dialect"
Date: Sun Feb 13 13:27:13 2005

This is a follow-up to the "Micro Focus argument-number = 1" discussion.

I don't know if anyone has already suggested (or looked at) providing "XPG4"
dialect support.

Some of the Micro Focus extensions are implementations of the X/Open "CAE"
specifications.  These extensions (unlike many of the other MF extensions)
are common to all of the Unix (and many PC) compilers that claim X/Open or
XPG conformance.

Furthermore, the full (1991) X/Open CAE is available for download for free
from:

  http://www.opengroup.org/bookstore/catalog/c192.htm

The only "question" that I would raise is how much effort "open-cobol"
should spend on the XPG4 "internationalization" support.  All of it is
available in X/Open conforming compilers, but the newer ANSI/ISO '02 support
is MUCH fuller and more useful.

P.S. Personally, I am AGAINST the Micro Focus ability to specify *multiple*
dialects at the same time, so I would say that XPG4 and MF support should be
mutually exclusive for a single compile - even though specifying MF
(probably) includes all the XPG4 support (or will some day).

P.S.  Sorry if this is already in OC or has been discussed.  I keep trying
to find out how to figure out what IS (and is not) already in the OC
compiler but haven't yet figured out where/how to get this information.