[open-cobol-list] Re: Deprecating db1

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Re: Deprecating db1
Date: Tue Apr 5 00:30:22 2005

Bernard, I do not think the second part is true.
Here is an excerpt from the product licensing :
-------
Do I have to pay for a Berkeley DB license to use it in my Perl or Python scripts?
No, you may use the Berkeley DB open source license at no cost.
The Berkeley DB open source license requires that software that uses
Berkeley DB be freely redistributable. In the case of Perl or Python,
that software is Perl or Python, and not your scripts. Any scripts you write
are your property, including scripts that make use of Berkeley DB.
None of the Perl, Python or Berkeley DB licenses place any restrictions
on what you may do with them.
-------
Which is a very clear statement.
So, we just have to make sure that OC license is OK.
At the moment the library is under LGPL.
Keisuke, do we have any problem relaxing it to GPL ?

Roger

One big problem I see with deprecating DB1,
is the License issue:
If you use anything beyond 1.85, you have to follow
the GPL license pour DB, which means you have to
provide the OC RTL under GPL (which may be fine),
BUT you ALSO have to provide anything which uses the
OC RTL under GPL, in particular your COBOL code,
which precludes to use OC for any COBOL software
you would like to keep the source non public.
And in this case, the potential for OC would be much
restricted.