Re: [open-cobol-list] Status of OpenCobol

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Status of OpenCobol
Date: Mon May 16 15:45:56 2005

Tim Underwood wrote:
I checked the site, and went back to some earlier email archives on the
mailing list, but couldn't find the answer to my question.

What implementation is being attempted?  In other words - what Cobol
standard is the current OpenCobol supporting?  ANSI?  What ANSI standard?
And if an ANSI spec is being attempted, is there anything yet within that
standard that isn't supported?

OpenCOBOL is intended to support the COBOL 2002 Standard, as well as
some extensions for compatibility with existent COBOL compilers such
as IBM COBOL and MicroFocus COBOL.

Regarding the standard, OpenCOBOL currently lacks support for nested
subprograms, intrinsic functions, SCREEN SECTION, embedded SQL, etc.

I assume files and file I/O are supported, but if using an indexed file -
what do I need?  MySQL, PostgreSQL, ????

You need BerkeleyDB 1.85 or later.  We don't have support for SQL.

If these answers are on the website, I couldn't find them.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'm currently working on our new
website at:

  http://www.opencobol.org/

Co-editor/maintainer wanted!

Best regards,