[open-cobol-list] Happy New Year and CVS Update

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Happy New Year and CVS Update
Date: Sat Dec 31 13:00:10 2005

Happy new year to fellow developers, OC users and
any one else that reads this forum's postings !

I had really hoped to get 0.33 out of the door
before new year, but private problems have
prevented that.
However, 0.33 WILL come out within the next
2 weeks (famous last words)

CVS Updated :
So, and now to what's new -
With many thanks to Sergey Kashyrin,
we can now report 3 new successful ports !

Details -
(Berkeley DB and GMP built from source)

Sun Solaris
SunOS sun30 5.9 Generic_112233-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
gcc 3.4.2 (downloaded binaries)

IBM AIX
5.3.0.0
gcc version 3.3.2 (binaries from IBM AIX supplemental CD)

HP-UX
HP-UX hp B.11.11 U 9000/785 2007485965
gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 built from source

All three ports pass successfully the OC and Cobol85 tests.

As it turned out, the tests on these machines brought a latent
bug related to RELATIVE file access to light.
(Funnily enough the Cobol85 tests did not discover this).
(The reported key number, in particular circumstances,
 would be wrong when reading sequentially from a RELATIVE
 file)

These ports, at the moment, still require a bit of tweaking
before/after the configure which I am trying to get fixed.
However, the base OC code works.

MingW does NOT now require libltdl.
Win ports (not CYGWIN which has libdl) will use
native dynamic loading support.

Some progress has been made in supporting non-gcc
systems. In particular (thanks to Sergey for providing
code), computed goto's - used for perform processing
have an alternate jump table implementation. There are
still a couple of places to be changed which should be
resolved in a short time.

We now attempt to report timezone info on all systems
for FUNCTION's WHEN-COMPILED and CURRENT-DATE.

"cobcrun" will now always use the OC shared library.
The "builtin libcob objects" version on some systems
creates problems. Except for a (minor?) performance
tweak, we do not need to do this.

More info on all changes can, as always, be seen
from the individual directory ChangeLog's.

Tarball is at usual download address -
If you don't know where that is, read one of my previous
CVS update messages :-)

Once again, I wish everyone a happy and prosperous
new year and thank all contributor's for their
efforts.

I think we have made significant advances this year and hope
we will continue this trend into the new year.
As always, to achieve this, we rely on YOU to provide
feedback.
Thanks to everyone.

Best Wishes

Roger