Re: [open-cobol-list] Compiler modifications

From: Michel Gouget
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Compiler modifications
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 01:26:19 +0200

Roger,

Thanks for your comments; thanks Bill also. I am not at all an expert in
COBOL and compilers, and have not the BNF of COBOL. I just did quick mods
that *seemed* OK so as to make the code run. BTW, I found the compiler
source very clear and easy to dig into, and was able, starting from nothing,
to do the job and make the app compile (~195 KSL)in a couple of days,
including a COBOL-C interface to a screen manager.

The application I ported was running on very very old computers eg. Motorola
68040 & 88K :-)), using a very old MF compiler (from the end of the
eighties...), and all the constructs I talked about *worked* on that
compiler. I'll check for the version.

1) (END-PERFORM) and 4) (OPEN I-O a non existing file) have been changed in
the COBOL code, so no more discussion.

The only mods that I *really* would appreciate to be integrated are 2) (READ
NEXT/PREVIOUS at EOF -> error 10), 3) (READ PREVIOUS), 5)& 6) (warnings), 7)
(comments). As they are very localised, they could be ifdefed, or a standard
could be created for this compiler, eg. std=mfXXX. I have no problem
creating and using it.

I will investigate about error line numbers, there are many COPY; I am sure
the problem is on my side ;-)

Cheers,

Michel