Re: [open-cobol-list] Compiler modifications

From: Roger While
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Compiler modifications
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:39:23 +0200

Hi Michel,
Just a followup mail privately.
(Nope, changed my mind, sending it to the list)
I think you did a great job.
Do not be put off by comments either by me
or anybody else.
A lot of time (and I mean a LOT of time) when
dealing with compilers is investigating :
a) What do the standards say
    ie. ANS74, ANS85, COBOL2002 and upcoming COBOL2008
b) What do current compilers do

This is not easy.

That means that corrections get a thorough
check before going in.
(Having said that I rely on feedback from
 YOU people out there)
(And that is the point of the prerelease tarball)
It is not always the case that, with OC, we accept
a correction on the basis "but xyz does it".

We can NOT and will NOT be able to do in OC
what EVERY other compiler(/version) does.

So, we have to concentrate on the basics.

As such, your contribution regarding
LOCK/UNLOCK/READ PREVIOUS
were very welcome and have been incorporated.

Do not hesitate to suggest further changes.
(And that applies to EVERYBODY out there)

Roger