Re: [open-cobol-list] "AUTHOR" is still a reserved word.

From: Roger While
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] "AUTHOR" is still a reserved word.
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:33:29 +0200

Yep, that's called legacy :-)
Unfortunately, because of the legacy syntax,
AUTHOR along with things like DATE-WRITTEN
can not be "unreserved". We do have a feature
to "unreserve" words. See (0.33) config/mvs.conf
at the bottom for an example.

But you do have to admire the standards that allow
a minimum prog (compilable with OC 0.33) of -
   PROGRAM-ID. MIN.

This will (OC 0.33) compile and run as an executable
(cobc -x MIN.cob) or as a callable module (cobc -m MIN.cob)
:-) :-)

Roger

I complain long and loud aobut the evisceration of the IDENTIFICATION
DIVISION ovr the years.  It was a bit of a surprise then to have a
program refuse to compile when I used that word as a data name.
--
John Culleton