[open-cobol-list] GOBACK in main program

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] GOBACK in main program
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:53:39 +0200

Yes, indeed.
Background to this is interesting.
A couple of months ago somebody pointed out
that EXIT PROGRAM should act like a CONTINUE
when used in a "main" program (per 2002 standard).
I changed OC to do this without realising that GOBACK
was using the same code.
In fact I was of the opinion that GOBACK was legacy code.
Nope, it's firmly there in the 2002 standard and does indeed
state that GOBACK acts as a STOP RUN in a "main"
program and as an EXIT PROGRAM otherwise.

Now fixed.
Download as usual.

Roger

I have compiled all of the main batch program (called from the script)
with -m, and execute them with cobcrun.

Several of the programs use a GOBACK instead of a STOP RUN to end the
program.

On the mainframe and MicroFocus, the programs end when it hits the GOBACK.

With OC, since there is no module to return to, the goto exit_program is
never executed, and the program falls through and starts to execute the
first paragraph after the mainline.