[open-cobol-list] add CMS to Cobol. Sunday October 12th Online Meeting.

From: Domain Admin
Subject: [open-cobol-list] add CMS to Cobol. Sunday October 12th Online Meeting.
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:39:21 -0400

To follow along on this discussion and add your own commentary please go to this link:

http://www.opencobol.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=371&forum=1

One of the things we need as part of the Open Cobol documentation effort and the Add 1 to COBOL series of projects, is a serious website. I am not simply talking about the design here, though that too is important and we are already preparing the stages of that.

But in this case I mean a series of online tools that will allow us to interact with each other in a centralized location, upload and test files and so forth.

I am already near to completing part of this with our tests to get Open Cobol running on Dreamhost and to get it working on the web. Also, as many of yall know, I have offered a free SSH account, and subdomain on add1tocobol.com specifically for folks that want to test this kind of technology. Thus much of the groundwork has already been laid.

I have decided to go ahead and use the .cobol file extension for our web apps delivered via Add1tocobol.com or any of its subsidiary sites. So for instance on my other sites, which are not about cobol, by having a .cobol extension, I will be advertising to the world, and especially the tech world, that yes ineed cobol is still being used. If you want a different extension on subdomains of add1tocobol that I give you, you are more than welcome to create them:).

Now, we need some more tools. A part of that is definitely a Content Management System, or a CMS. Of course all of our tools, including the CMS should be written in COBOL. And they should be compiled with Open Cobol. So the name of our CMS will be:

Add CMS to Cobol.

This maintains the add 1 to cobol flavor of names. It makes it recognizable as the same family of folks. I think also it is superior to add 1 to CMS. Again with the intention to continually be saying, YES Cobol IS still being used and is being used for more than just legacy apps.

Alright so with all of this in mind, our meeting Sunday will focus exclusively on this CMS. I will try to have our Designer there, just this one time, so that he can help direct how the meeting goes. There are after all a number of things we have to consider for a CMS. Such as:

1. HTML Template.
2. CSS Template.
3. Cobol to _javascript_.
4. HTML Editor such as:
   TinyMCE
   fckEditor
   WYMeditor.
5. File Uploads
6. User Manageable Email list.
7. Add Forum to Cobol (simply...no wasted code or cutsy crap).

There are a number of other things we need in a CMS for our purposes. Yes we could install something else (Joomla, Mambo and such), but that is contrary to part of the goal being, to have a Cobol site, be written in Cobol.

So this week's meeting will address these and many other issues regarding a CMS.

To attend here is the info you need:

Where: FREENODE IRC
Channel: #add1tocobol
Access from the web: http://www.add1tocobol.com/i_o_control.php
Date: Sunday October 12th.
Time: 9:00am Eastern
::::::::NOTE IMPORTANT::::::::::
There has been some confusion as to the time. I believe this is because the United States uses Daylight Savings Time. On top of this the Government recently extended the dates that EDT (eastern daylight time) would run. So to be sure that you make it at 9am Eastern, I have this link:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=179

That shows the time in New York City at the moment of viewing. It also explains the current UTC offset for the Eastern Zone in the United States. Simply compare the current time that site states, with your current time and you will know how far off we are from you.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Many thanks and I hope to see all of yall there this Sunday.

--
Joseph James Frantz
(Aoirthoir)

http://www.add1tocobol.com
Regular add1tocobol meetings:
Date: Sundays
Time: 9:00am Eastern

::::::::NOTE IMPORTANT::::::::::
There has been some confusion as to the time. I believe this is because the United States uses Daylight Savings Time. On top of this the Government recently extended the dates that EDT (eastern daylight time) would run. So to be sure that you make it at 9am Eastern, I have this link:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=179

That shows the time in New York City at the moment of viewing. It also explains the current UTC offset for the Eastern Zone in the United States. Simply compare the current time that site states, with your current time and you will know how far off we are from you.

We're there all of the time, even when we do not have a meeting. Stop on by for Open Cobol Support and chat.