Re: [open-cobol-list] Old dog, new tricks

From: vince coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Old dog, new tricks
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:04:33 +0000

Hi;
On Friday 13 February 2009, Michael wrote:
> I've been writing COBOL for decades... Became interested in OC about a
> years ago, could not get it installed on Vista. Actually Vista sux,
> nothing runs right it except IE! I'll be loading XP on it soon.
>
> However, and this is leading up to a questions or two. I picked up a new
> desk top box (custom built, no OS) yesterday, loaded Ubuntu on it + the
> 268 updates, OC 1.0-1, Eclipse 3.2.

I assume the latest v8.10

> I am not a Linux expert, thats why I choose Ubuntu, and I've never used
> Eclipse. I really don't want to get into the big learning curve of
> Eclipse, projects, and all that. I just want to edit COBOL, and compile,
> link, ....... an so on. I prefer the command line, and don't want to be
> stuck in a GUI! I've been using Programmer Studio (
> http://www.programmerstudio.com/ ). It's a GUI Editor, but also allows
> me to enter/save my command line stuff to compile and link. It
> understands most all common languages, and is multi-platform, including
> the HP3000. Maybe it would run on Linux with Wine?
>
> I have allot of COBOL code to move from my HP3000 to Linux OC..... My
> goal is to eventually setup a Linux server, and emulate the HP3000
> environment on it, lots of COBOL!
>
> What is the best/simplest path to take in the Edit and compile area?
> Is there a simple side to Eclipse, I don't know what half the crap on
> the screen is?
> What are you guys using to manager you code?

I use Open Cobol v1.1 get latest at sourceforge (but  join the add1tocobol
group). For an editor I use kate but there is better out there including
Eclipse with the Cobol Plugin but as I'm old (very) school I dont need or
want highlighting. Also I have multi terminals open as needed using
(kconsole) but what you have available in Ubuntu may well not be the same.

Currently converting six applications to Open Cobol prior to making them Open
Source. Most of these were written during the 60-70's with one or two early
80's. in MF Cobol, IBM and/or ICL Cobol.

There is a group forum at http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com or via Ksirc or
Pidgin.

Vince

--
IMPORTANT – This email and the information in it may be confidential, legally
privileged and/or protected by law. It is intended solely for the use of the

We cannot guarantee the security or confidentiality of email communications.
We do not accept any liability for losses or damages that you may suffer as a
result of your receipt of this email including but not limited to computer
service or system failure, access delays or interruption, data non-delivery
or mis-delivery, computer viruses or other harmful components.

Copyright in this email and any attachments belongs to Applewood Computers.
Should you communicate with anyone at Applewood Computers by email, you
consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Nothing in this email shall be taken or read as suggesting, proposing or
relating to any agreement concerted practice or other practice that could
infringe UK or EC competition legislation.

Dykegrove Limited T/A Applewood Computers is a company registered in England
and Wales (number 01681349) whose registered office is at Applewood House,
Epping Road, Roydon, Essex, CM19 5DA