Re: [open-cobol-list] OC_GTK help

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OC_GTK help
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 00:22:33 -0500

Thanks David.

cobc  `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` ocgtk.c

The above `cobc` resolved the gtk issues, now I have another problem.

ocgtk.c: In function 'CBL_OC_GTK_WINDOW_SET_TITLE`:
ocgtk.c:30: error: `cob_module` undeclared
ocgtk.c:30: error: `module` undeclared
ocgtk.c: In function 'CBL_OC_GTK_ENTRY_GET_TEXT`:
ocgtk.c:107: error: `cob_module` undeclared
ocgtk.c:107: error: `module` undeclared

It seems that `cob_module` and `module` are in common.h of libcob, I actually look at it. I've added -I/usr/local/include/libcob to the above cobc, and still they are undeclared. Probably something simple. Assuming that c includes are similar to cobol `copy books` or `copy libraries`. In the old days when thought I might have a cobol `copy book` problem, I would just gather them directly into my source to eliminate the problem. I don't know enough about the c language to get around this problem.

Looking at pkg-config, it looks like a great tool to help manage includes, and the like, but pkg-config --list-all reveals nothing for opencobol?

Any help will be very much appreciated!
Time for a good stiff drink!

<Optionalreading>
I've been using Linux for years, but only using it (network config, web/html , email, ftp, and stuff like that), no real programming. I've been writing Fortran, COBOL, and some C for decades in the mini-mainframe world, started with Fortran/66 in 1983, then ansi74 COBOL in 1986, very little C. OpenCobol is my path to multi platform programming. I really want to _thank everyone _evolved in developing OpenCobol. There are other areas I need to conquer in a multi-platform environment, GUI, DBMS, and System calls or intrinsics. However, right now I can't seem to compile anything worthwhile! When (not if) I get running with this, I'll be serious advocate for OpenCobol!
</Optionalreading>

Michael
832.515.3868

David Essex wrote:
Michael wrote:

I've been trying to make use of OpenCobol with GTK. I've compiled ocgtk.c, and ocgtkhtml.cob.
i get the following errors:
ocgtk.o:ocgtk.c:(.text+0x147): undefined reference to `_G_CALLBACK'
ocgtk.o:ocgtk.c:(.text+0x154): undefined reference to `_G_OBJECT'
ocgtk.o:ocgtk.c:(.text+0x170): undefined reference to `_g_signal_connect'
ocgtk.o:ocgtk.c:(.text+0x194): undefined reference to `_gtk_type_check_object_cast'

What am I missing?

Platform cygwin on WinXP Pro.

I've successfully compiled and executed the follow GTK "C" program: so I know I have GTK installed correctly:

You are missing a library in your link step.
If available, use 'gtk-config --libs' or 'pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0' script to get all the libraries.

Example on Linux:
#gtk-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk \
-lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm

Or better still, create a native WinXP application using the Win32 API.
Hint, a COBOL (sub)program is equivalent to a C function.