Re: [open-cobol-list] displaying max values in comp-5 field

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] displaying max values in comp-5 field
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:25:44 -0500

Compatible variables required: In most Cobol compilers, it is the 'MOVE' that will convert (cast), and therefore 'truncate', that's the beauty of the Cobol 'Move' verb.

However, if you don't want the 'MOVE' verb to muck up your good intentions, then don't use move. COMPUTE, DIVIDE, MULTIPLE, ADD, and SUBTRACT will work at the bit level, and for example "S9(4) COMP", you should be able to manipulate all 16 bits.

Mike.

vince coen wrote:
Hi