Re: [open-cobol-list] Anybody use emacs to code COBOL?

From: vince coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Anybody use emacs to code COBOL?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 18:23:45 +0100

Hi Duke;

On Thursday 06 August 2009, you wrote:

> > > I also took 4 years of Latin in H.S. I guess I've just joined an "old
> > > farts" club - with Latin,
> >
> > Not so much of "old farts", dont know about you but I'm only 62 and came
> > into programming in 1961.
>
> I'm 62 as well... What were you - a child programming prodigy? From
> '65 to '69 I was in the U.S.M.C -- Viet Nam '66 to '68 (2 tours). I
> joined up, I was barely 18. Hell I barely knew that computers existed
> back then.

I started working on a IBM 1401 at 13 (1960/1) as an operator after a few
months starting programming for it in machine code, then assembler then Cobol
some of which was front-ended into a 7094 which had 20 odd tape decks.  As
this machine was in a shop type window very near London's west end it had a
lot of pedestrians walking by all day til very late at night and I seem to
recall my party trick when I had a bunch watching us was one would raise our
hands as a musical conductor (sort of) and the other would press the unload
button on the console and all the tape drives would unload with the large
heads all opening at the same time.  Always got a clap.

> > > COBOL, kicking around; and me hacking
> > > M(umps) code as well. ;))
> >
> > Have not seen that in 30 yrs or so. Didnt know it was still in use let
> > alone the hardware still working.
>
> You bet! The _entire_ VA hospital/patient_records system is _still_
> running under VISTA/M(umps). I can you the URLs for 2 free M(umps)
> implementations, if and when you are ever interested.

and I thought the UK National Health Service had some old kit, but not that
old.

> > > I use VIM as well. I have nothing against it, really. How is it as a
> > > COBOL programming environment?
> >
> > VIM is ok, but I use cream over it instead but use kate normally as the
> > editor
>
> How different is cream/VIM from GVIM?

Cream has  a very strong GUI fromt end, a lot better than GVIM but hey
load 'em both and try each. If you dont like any just uninstall, for the cost
of a few seconds downloading them from the distro archives or mirrors etc.
Its not that it cost any money!

Thats the beauty of Linux.

Vince

PS I have loaded up for both a syntax highlighter for kate and vim but I
normally turn it off as it gets in my way but there again I have been
programming for a while.

--
IMPORTANT – This email and the information in it may be confidential, legally
privileged and/or protected by law. It is intended solely for the use of the

We cannot guarantee the security or confidentiality of email communications.
We do not accept any liability for losses or damages that you may suffer as a
result of your receipt of this email including but not limited to computer
service or system failure, access delays or interruption, data non-delivery
or mis-delivery, computer viruses or other harmful components.

Copyright in this email and any attachments belongs to Applewood Computers.
Should you communicate with anyone at Applewood Computers by email, you
consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Nothing in this email shall be taken or read as suggesting, proposing or
relating to any agreement concerted practice or other practice that could
infringe UK or EC competition legislation.

Dykegrove Limited T/A Applewood Computers is a company registered in England
and Wales (number 01681349) whose registered office is at Applewood House,
Epping Road, Roydon, Essex, CM19 5DA