Re: [open-cobol-list] Anybody use emacs to code COBOL?

From: Kevin Monceaux
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Anybody use emacs to code COBOL?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 23:45:22 -0500

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 09:01:52PM -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:

>> Actually THE (The Hessling Editor) is similar to Xedit, a mainframe
>> editor found on VM/CMS.  The editor is similar to the ISPF editor.
>>
>> If you are looking for a full ISPF environment (UN*X, WIn32), you can
>> find it here [1].

I had some trouble getting syntax highlighting, and a few other things, to
work at first and almost gave up on it.  But I eventually got it to behave
itself.  It's syntax highlighting even works well with c, python, etc., once
I tweaked a few color settings.  I think I've finally found a favorite
editor.  It's enough like ISPF where I feel right at home.  The only thing I
haven't found yet is a syntax highlighting file for e-mail.

This editor discussion also inspired me to revisit a few other editors I
hadn't tried in a while.  I'm using joe for this e-mail.  I've ended up
spending most of the afternoon/evening tinkering with editors.  See what
y'all started.  :-)

> I sure hope that I can compile it on my OS X box - looks too cool for
> words ;)

May the source be with you.  The only problem I had compiling it on Linux
was that I couldn't get the configure script to believe the --without-x
parameter.  I had to end up installing some gnome dev packages to make
configure happy so I could get it compiled.  That wouldn't have been quite
so annoying except I don't use Gnome, I use DWM.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net