Re: [open-cobol-list] COBOL apps on MSWIndows

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] COBOL apps on MSWIndows
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:38:58 -0500

On December 5, 2009 11:05:43 am John Culleton wrote:
> All the precompiled OC binaries for MSWIN seem to require the
> presence of a C language compiler on the computer. I want to create
> Cobol programs and offer them to end users, not programmers. Is
> there a way to do this?

Umm, I would say, yes?

After you build an executable, run   depends  on the .exe.  It'll list the
dependencies and give you a good clue as to what you need to bundle to make
one click installers for the end users.  Beware the licensing of course, but
with Windows, you might find that the 'do not redistribute' libraries needed
by an OpenCOBOL executable are already on the customer's machine. Not always,
but maybe.

Cheers,
Brian