Re: [open-cobol-list] [Bulk] accept a keystroke?

From: vince coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] [Bulk] accept a keystroke?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:18:10 +0000

On Wednesday 27 January 2010, John Culleton wrote:

> > > Are these status codes OC specific or are they used in other compilers?
> > > I note that tiny cobol uses different codes.
> >
> > OC specific, they are not any kind of standard within compilers and
> > should never be relied to be so.

> > Vince
>
> Interesting. The British X/Open organization defines a three byte return
> code of which two are in use. if char 1 is 1  or 2 then char 2 is the
> hexadecimal code for the function key  number, x'00' to x'0c' on a standard
> IBM style keyboard. Colors are defined in the same standard as 0 through 7,
> same as the OC array.  So I assume colors in a SCREEN definition can be
> relied on but return codes cannot, if one is programming for portability.

The best way is to load 2 copybooks that contain the compiler specific defines
for both keyboard breakouts as well as the colour defs (although these seem
to conform to a standard, but again there is no guarantee they will always
match) .

That way you have at most 2 copybooks to mod when changing compilers.

It all help to keep the code as portable as possible without making to much
work for yourself and others after you.

Vince