Re: [open-cobol-list] Install openCobol on a Red Hat System

From: michael
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Install openCobol on a Red Hat System
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 10:32:27 -0500

I haven't installed OC in a long time, but since no one else is saying anything I will add my $0.02:

When you install OC, did you go through a config & make process, if so, did the config do many tests on your machine. The configuration phase of the install interogates your software environment, it is this phase of the install that will tell you what is missing.

Also: I use ClearOS, which is just a copy of Centos with minor upgrade enhancements, and Centos is RedHat, and so on...... What I recall is ncurses and libdb where both missing, and using yum I was able to install them before doing the OC make.

If this doesn't make since, I recommend Ubuntu, the desktop version.
I have Ubuntu on my laptop, from the synaptic package manager I installed OC in about 4 or 5 clicks, maybe 7 clicks, I can't remember. Point is, it is so easy a caveman could do it. The package manager is a rev or two back, but it does work. Also the package manager will install of the necessary dependencies, and therefore you maybe able to install the latest version of OC afterward.

--
Mike.