Re: [open-cobol-list] OpenCOBOL and Unicode, and a few other screen rela

From: Kevin Monceaux
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OpenCOBOL and Unicode, and a few other screen related things
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:42:46 -0500

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:04:07PM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:

> I tried a simple OC program with a SCREEN SECTION and it handled all
> the unicode characters I threw at it including some polytonic Greek.

Well, I have discovered one anomaly.  If one or more fields have
Unicode characters in them and I hit ENTER the underline indicating
the size of the field(s) with Unicode characters shrinks.  These days
I mostly use rxvt-unicode or PuTTY when working remotely.  Both can
display underlined text.  I hacked libcob/screenio.c and removed the
underline filler characters and underlined the fields via the
UNDERLINE SCREEN SECTION attribute.  The same happens using that
underline method.  Personally I'd rather have no underline at all than
have an underlined field where the line disappears as characters are
typed.

While on the subject of the SCREEN SECTION, the ChangeLog indicates
that preliminary support for CURSOR IS was added in 2006.  If I add a
CURSOR IS clause to my SPECIAL-NAMES the other special name I have
defined, CRT STATUS, stops working.  Is there a trick to using CURSOR
IS, or has it not made it past the preliminary support stage in five
years?

And, one last screen related question - is anyone still
using/maintaining COBcurses?  I tried it recently with OC 1.0 and 1.1
on a Debian box.  Now that I think about it I think I only tried it
remotely via PuTTY, so it might be a PuTTY problem.  When I last tried
it in the initial screen definition screen no matter what I type in
any field it displays a +.  I just tried it on another PC via PuTTY
and all the fields are displayed with a gray background.  On this PC
whatever I type is invisible, no characters are displayed at all.
I'll try it later this evening locally at home and see what happens
there.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system?  One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.