Re: [open-cobol-list] IS PUBLIC, IS PRIVATE, enhanced COPY

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] IS PUBLIC, IS PRIVATE, enhanced COPY
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 18:35:59 -0400

Hi Mike

Thanks for responding to me.

So Cobol certainly has been successful.

However this is one of the parts I was afraid to mention in my original post and am nervous once again....

Is Cobol successful now? Certainly there is still lots of code in use but is it from new code bases....

I bet I am the youngest person on the list and I am surely the silliest and biggest day dreamer and I am 37! I am not young.

I like Ruby but I never end up writing anything in it. It was one of many languages I just studied but never used.

I did spend time on the Ruby list and it's a totally different scene. There are nice people there just like here but my guess is the average age is generations younger. I was on the PHP list too and I've seen more maturity in a kindergarten class, there where lots of kids that just like fighting.

If Cobol "as-is" is dying(perhaps slowly) then would it not make since to have old implementations but also new implementations that are designed to survive in a world where terminology is set by Java, C++, Python, etc? Hence the idea of a friendly but co-operative fork.

I also think it's great that Cobol generates intermediate C. I really wish GNAT Ada did this too, I had many problems with it as it can only play nice with C with a lot of work.

-Patrick