Re: [open-cobol-list] advanced Cobol books ?

From: Dave Stratford
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] advanced Cobol books ?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:35:22 +0100

On 13 Aug, Brian Tiffin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Steve;

> I'm keen to promote COBOL, OpenCOBOL in particular.  Would you be up
> for developing a first year level curriculum?  I started a Moodle
> page, but got bogged down in the moodle bits and lost the focus of the
> actual lessons.  It might take a while, and a few iterations, but if
> you could provide a point form list of the topics to cover in what
> order, maybe we can start filling in details suitable for courseware
> material?  And, if the material passed muster, maybe an open text book
> suitable for Wikiversity and printing.

> One aspect I'm also keen to try is Inform-7 native and web based
> training games.  Make an adventure out of learning the four DIVISIONs
> for instance, with Grace Hopper playing a leading role in both
> positive and negative feedback.  The reward for the fist lesson would
> be a cut'n'paste-able source code skeleton (again, just for instance,
> which could even be customized for standard formatting expected for
> each school, or training facility).

Hi guys,

I would be very interested in helping out here if I can.

I only have about 30 years of cobol, so my experience is somewhat
limited!!!!

Actually, I have very little experience of Open Cobol, all mine has been
on ICL VME cobol with a small amount of MF. If this will help me with OC,
as well as helping everyone else with cobol generally, I'd be more than
willing to help.

Dave

--
Hexagon Systems Ltd       Experts in VME solutions    www.hexagon-systems.co.uk