Re: [open-cobol-list] substitute not found ?

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] substitute not found ?
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:09:02 -0400

I am not sure if I have found a bug or more likely, I have not been using SUBSTITUTE correctly.

I went back and used the whole snippet from Brian's site:
        DISPLAY
        FUNCTION UPPER-CASE(
            FUNCTION SUBSTITUTE(
            "This is the orginal string.";
            "original"; "new"; "string"; "text"
            )
        )
        END-DISPLAY

When I used just this in the program all was good. However when I used it outside of a DISPLAY it did not work.

In the code below, the first SUBSTITUTE is found and the second generates an error about unexpected function.

BTW I also ran make check and SUBSTITUTE passed
-Patrick

        IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
        PROGRAM-ID. debug-file-test.
        DATA DIVISION.