[open-cobol-list] dual string class written ?

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] dual string class written ?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 16:30:27 -0400

Hi Everyone

I seem to change my mind everyday but at this very moment I am thinking that for economic reasons, I'd better get started with the projects I need to get done and unfortunately I better do them in C++.

I was thinking of creating a class that would store strings in Cobol format, an array of characters with no nul byte and would store the same string as a char array with nul byte as well. This could also be done without storing the extra string but just doing conversions on demand.

I was thinking I could build in testing of the types, conversion code and perhaps through naming conventions, have C++ methods and Cobol programs ready to talk to each other(along with extern "C"). I really love Cobol and if I am going to write in another language, I want to lay out the welcome mat for Cobol to be reintroduced later.

I was thinking that this might be helpful in laying down code for Cobol bindings later too.

So my real question is, has anyone already written something like this? If so, could you share it with me?

-Patrick