Re: [open-cobol-list] Improvement to screen handling.

From: john Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Improvement to screen handling.
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:28:20 -0500

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 21:06:28 -0500
Patrick <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Vincent
>
> I have little free time and what I have, often
> ends up in abandoned projects so this isn't a
> promise but I am thinking about creating a fork
> that will have Tk instead of ncurses.
>
> I have ordered 3 books on the current Tcl/Tk C
> API and I have been reading books on
> Bison/Yacc, Autotools and Ncurses. I have all
> the open Cobol source code printed and I have
> been reading through it whenever I can and it's
> starting to make sense.
>
> Hopefully I will have something to show in a
> few months.
>
> -Patrick
>

> On 25/01/14 06:32 PM, Vincent Coen wrote:
> > Would be very handy to be able to use a GUI
> > version of ncurses, i.e., one that will work
> > with KDE or Gnome similar to MF.
> >
> > On 25/01/14 16:28, Patrick wrote:
> >> Hi John
> >>
> >> I am making slow progress but I am reading
> >> though the source code and I have just about
> >> finished a book on ncurses. I might be able
> >> to figure out how to add this in the next
> >> 2-4 months-Patrick

> > CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise
> > Cloud Services. Learn Why More Businesses Are
> > Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For Critical
> > Workloads, Development Environments &
> > Everything In Between. Get a Quote or Start a
> > Free Trial Today.
> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=119420431&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

> CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise
> Cloud Services. Learn Why More Businesses Are
> Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For Critical
> Workloads, Development Environments &
> Everything In Between. Get a Quote or Start a
> Free Trial Today.

There is an issue concerning who calls who. There
is an extended version of Tcl/Tk called Expect,
and a book on same on my shelf called "Exploring
Expect". Expect calls a program and then
exchanges information depending on the last
message from the called program. Whether this is
your ultimate version of Tcl/TK is of course up
to you but that is another and interesting option.

Another option:

Tiny COBOL allowed the calling program to be
COBOL and had a C language interface program to
tcl/tk. In the tinycobol66 release look for examples
tgui01 and tgui02 in the test.code directory.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press