Re: [open-cobol-list] newbie alert : cobol : 85 : data management, : que

From: Mayuresh Kathe
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] newbie alert : cobol : 85 : data management, : question
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 02:23:31 +0530

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 09:26:19PM +0100, Simon Sobisch wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 09:44:35 -0400
> > From: Patrick <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] open-cobol : full 85 support : bounty
> > To: address@hidden, address@hidden
> >
> > On 14-10-31 12:43 PM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >> hello,
> >>
> >> i am initiating a personal project to improve conditions in rural india
> >> by effecting social change via technology.
> >> for the same, i have chosen to go ahead with cobol-85 due to it's
> >> impressive record-oriented data manipulation abilities.
> >>
> >> it being a self-funded effort, i can't afford to go for big iron stuff
> >> from ibm, etc.
> >> hence, i would prefer to go with open-cobol running under a highly
> >> modified linux system.
> >>
> >> i have come to realize that open-cobol does not yet have full support
> >> for the cobol-85 standard.
> >> who be the right person to communicate with regarding raising a bounty
> >> to bring in full cobol-85 support to open-cobol?
> >>
> >> do write back at the earliest.
> >>
> >> i am travelling and hence have intermittent network access, please do
> >> not feel let down if i don't respond immediately, will do so as soon as
> >> i get back to my operating base in bombay.
> >>
> >> best regards,
> >>
> >> ~mayuresh

> > Hi Mayuresh
> >
> > I think this is going to be tough. Brian Tiffin is our team leader and
> > Simon Sobisch is is our lead developer but I don't think either really
> > gets involved with money much. Perhaps you could explain what 85
> > features are missing and why they need to be implemented? If you were
> > able to fund the addition of these that would be great but maybe if you
> > could make a case for them they could be included without cost.
> >
> > Life is absolutely crushing me right now and I can't get this done but I
> > have been planning on driving down the street to IBM to ask if there was
> > a way for them to back our project. It looks like they try to get people
> > interested in microfocus which comes with about a $5K + price tag. Our
> > project could get people trained in Cobol much faster and if we agreed
> > to default to the IBM dialect maybe they would fund us.
> >
> > -Patrick
> >
> > P.S my wife is from the Philippines, I am curious how Cobol could be
> > used to improves lives in rural underdeveloped places
> >
> > P.P.S We have had a recent name change and now we are GnuCOBOL
> >

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:19:45 +0530
> > From: Mayuresh Kathe <address@hidden>
> > Subject: [open-cobol-list] newbie alert : cobol : 85 : data management
> >     :       question
> > To: address@hidden
> >
> > hello,
> >
> > how does cobol, and by virtue of it's standards adherence,
> > open-cobol, manage data?
> >
> > as i'd mentioned in a previous email, i am working on a
> > self-funded project to use modern computing systems for
> > initiating and sustaining social change in rural india.

> [...]

hello simon,

thanks for responding with the details.

i am not going to use any old(er) sources for anything in my project.
it's going to be a from scratch implementation of the entire system.

why i got so intrigued by cobol? because of what i read about it's
record-oriented data handling capabilities.

why gnucobol? because i simply cannot afford anything else.

why my naive questions to the list?
because, while i have close to 23 years of programming experience, i
know next to nothing about cobol.
for the same, i'll be self-training using a book by mr. coughlan which
relies on cobol-85 heavily, hence my need to have full cobol-85 support
in gnucobol to prevent any disruption during the training and while
implmenting my system.

i have been informed about the full cobol-85 compliance in the upcoming
2.x release, so will look forward to the same being made available under
my prefered platform, i.e. ubuntu desktop. :)

thanks again for the information.

~mayuresh